View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
So, going by your sources, your cousin has a buddy who's sister's boyfriend knows a guy who said that a 135 does a 4.6 0-100kph. By the way, the fastestlaps.com source was the best, especially the comments section. And the 30-40% is actually 30%. So, yeah, now I'm humbled.
Lmao but you are a funny one! That was 5-6 published articles I found in about 10 min. Search around - there are a lot more. Don't shoot the reporter, I'm just linking to published studies in answer to a ridiculously condescending and unsubstantiated claim that the M135 is just a 1 series with nice paint…

I never claimed it was a full on M-car but that it is pretty good as a model that sits squarely between M-cars and the mostly cosmetic M-Sport packages that BMW sells.

You can sit on your high-M3-horse and pretend you have the most perfect machine BMW has ever produced and that the lowly M135 is just a 1 series with some nice paint, but the fact remains that some M3 owners (myself being one of them) don't like that M3s are getting bigger, heavier and more technology laden with each successive generation and remember when BMW used to make fun, light weight sports cars (the first M3 being the best example). Though the M135i is not light at 1410 kg, its far lighter than M3/4/5/6 and has a pretty fun 320hp straight six stuffed under the hood.

As for your looking down on a car that has only 30% different parts than a standard 1 series, there are some out there who might consider the following list of upgrades as being more than just a paint job…

A non-comprehensive list of M Performance enhancements on the M135i beyond "nice paint and tape":

- revised sports suspension
- revised front axle
- new traverse control arm
- new swivel bearing
- new sports steering
- new sports brakes (4 pot)
- new forged crank
- upgraded engine cooling system
- N55 motor with single turbo (10 kW more than in the standard engine of the BMW 3 Series, as well as 50 Nm more torque)
- larger air inlets and exclusive front end
- different sports settings for 8 speed ZF AT with 200 millisecond shift times
- specially adapted sports exhaust w/o central silencer and special exhaust flap exclusive to M135i
- new tires just for M135 (225 front 245 back)

The car ran the Nurbrgring in 8:05 fully stock (same time as your E92 M3 if I am not mistaken), not bad for a car that the engineers say was tuned for street rather than track use…

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/12/...g-Lap-7711996/

Last edited by MeganeTrophyGuy; 04-18-2014 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: added link for ring time...
Appreciate 0