04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
You remind me of an old lady..

LMFAO you're going to miss out on the new M4 because people on a forum are arrogant? Cmon man..

Im glad you recognize the M135 is not an M car. I personally think its a ugly car but love how BMW put it together except for the name and all the M badges. I got a chance to drive the new M235i and I loved it. the 8 speed was fantastic and even though its not a DCT shifts are extremely fast and power delivery was outstanding.
Not exactly.

Though you are right that I was both surprised and disappointed by the dismissive, and arrogant tone of several people on this forum, I actually began this thread as a discussion of BMWs resorting to artificial methods (in both my M135 as well as in the M3/4 and 5) to produce engine and exhaust noise, something I find objectionable in a full on M-car but that I was willing to live with in my M135.

In addition to what I feel is an over-reliance on high technology by the M-division (try driving a Lotus if you don't believe that low-tech approaches can be fast, sporty and fun), I also mentioned that I don't like the way M-cars are getting bigger and heavier with each successive generation, forcing BMW to rely even more on technology and ultra high output to keep their performance numbers improving. Ironically, this last point is probably one of the things that brought me temporarily back to the BMW fold - as, at least in some ways, the M135i harks back to the BMW days of old, like the old E30 M3 which had a powerful engine stuffed into a small, lightweight body. Though my car is not "light" like an E30 or a Lotus, the M135i has 320hp and a 50/50 weight distribution to push around only about 1400kg, it's far lighter than all modern M3s including the F30, E92, E46 or even E36.

I will of course test drive the M4, but the issues of curb weight, artificially produced engine noise and over reliance on technology are all concerns. But as a true car enthusiast who loves to pore over and discuss the details of the car I am driving with other, being part of a community of like-minded owners is also an important part of the experience. In the pre-internet forum era, I was a serious, involved and happy member of BMW CCA for more than a decade (having owned 6 BMWs by 2008), and loved our Roundel Magazine and the positive, enthusiastic and supportive atmosphere we owners had for each other.

After a 5-6 year absence, I came to this forum mistakenly thinking that this spirit of camaraderie among BMW owners would still be alive and was very much looking forward to getting back to discussing the strengths and weaknesses of our cars and of BMW as a company (you need to know that historically, it has been in part, the resolute passion of the BMW CCA membership that pressured BMW to build and offer certain models for the US market).

To be attacked, ridiculed, dismissed and looked down upon for daring to mention these things as issues to be discussed (or daring to mention that the M135 is a car with merits beyond being a 1 series with a nice paint job) was to say the least, a shocking, eye-opening experience that has indeed made me wonder if returning to the BMW fold was the right decision...
Appreciate 0