05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #104
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I for one am not worried about the steering feel comments. I have read multiple articles on the Ferrari 458 and F12 saying that the steering is utterly devoid of feel. But that it is sharp, very direct, accurate and easy to understand what the car is doing.

Isn't that what it's all about?
That's only a part of it. Steering feel and feedback are essential to feel connected to the driving experience. Cars that demostrate these qualities in abundance make you feel like a more important part of the driving process, rather than just playing a very fast video game.

As a former Ferrari driver, I can tell you that Ferrari hasn't had decent steering feel since they abandoned manual steering (last ones were the F348 and F50). Newer ones are fun and fast cars, but badly lacking in this department.

BMW to me hasn't had good feel since the E36 M3 (E46 had hydraulic but was already significantly more numb than its predecessor).

As a Porsche owner, their change to electric in the last generation has been a huge backwards step. The industry as a whole is really in trouble in this area. I'm waiting for someone to make an electric rack as good as the best hydraulic (and many claim it should be possible to surpass that standard), but looks like it hasn't happened yet...

Last edited by grant; 05-09-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0