07-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #37
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
@Zero4910 & @M4TW

The M3/M4's use Castrol SAF-XJ (API GL5, 75W140 weight) as a factory fill oil for the diff. BMW NA uses the same oil but with a friction modifier(+FM). BMW calls it SAF-XJ+FM

The reason why BMW NA uses the +FM oil, is to cut down on customer complaints from a noisy differentiation operation at low(parking) speeds.

When parking(or doing full lock turning) you might notice some grinding or shatter from the diff's clutch pack. This is not a harmful/deferential noise, but BMW NA doesn't want customers to be upset with their new cars... so they spec an oil that eliminates this "chatter". BMW also says once you start using +FM oil, you shall always use it. There is no going back to the regular oil.

REAR DIFFERENTIAL OILS:
bmw p/n 83 22 2 282 583 SAE 75W-140 SAF-XJ + FM BOOSTER (you get 3, 0.5l bottles)
bmw p/n 83 22 1 470 080 SAF XJ w/o Friction Modifier (1, 0.5l bottle)

German BMW dealers do not stock this gear oil(!)... but they can order it and get it the next day or in a few days(depending on how they order it). My local BMW dealer(Zentrum) gets two delivers from BMW AG every day!

The +FM oil is not cheap, I think around 130 euros for the three, 0.5l bottles, over here in Germany.

Also note IF you have your manual trans oil changed, most German doeals only stock the MTF-LT3 oil used for the e9x M3's. The 1M and the new F8x M3's/M4's use MTF-LT5 trans oil! So double check what your dealer uses. (of course BMW says a trans oil change is not needed at 2K kms... but I would do it).

All the 1M owners went thru this same ordeal when the 1M came out. You would think BMW would have learned it's lesson then.
CORRECT 1M Fluids List [Engine, Transmission, Differential]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620282

Attachment 1062379

Attachment 1062380

Attachment 1062381
Hmm. I learn something new every day. Looks like I'll be sure to let my dealer in Kiserslautern know when I'm getting close to my 2000km since I have a US spec car.

Thanks for the info
[ Black Metallic Sapphire | Black Ext. Merino Leather | 18" Silver-Light Alloy Wheels | 6 Spd Manual Transmission | Carbon Fiber Trim| Driver Assistance Plus / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Moonroof / Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0