07-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #201
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
I don't doubt the 1/4 times. I know the M4 and C7 have comparable times and agree, as you said earlier, that comparing the 2 on this issue is mostly meaningless because traction is largely determining the results. The C7 lacks a DCT and seems to experience a lot more wheel spin and longer shift times than the M4. Thus the 1/4 times don't really do a good job of showing which car is faster.

We've already discussed the reasons for the similar trap times between the 2 cars and why it's a meaningless comparison. The 911 carrera S, despite having less HP than both, has faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Just to be clear, I said track comparisons were meaningless. 1/4 mile trap speeds are NOT meaningless.

A couple of comments... the auto in the C7 is fast shifting and would not meaningfully impact the car's trap speed. The same thing with traction... some of the 60' times, etc for the C7 have been very impressive. Also, the C7 auto has been faster than the 911S in most tests. The 911S weighs SO much less than both the M4 and C7 that its speed is impacted by this regardless of its HP.

In any event, this debate is academic at this point and it has already been beaten to death here in several threads. I believe the general consensus (although I may be wrong) is not in agreement with you and that would include people who are far brighter and informed than I am. You can believe what you want and so will I.

Just for the record, I don't really care about HP and straight line speed other than for interest sake. I'm a road course kind of person. My perspective in this debate is not from M4 euphoria but, rather, just my interpretation of a lot of data. I believe you are discounting information, making justifications and interpreting things based on you not being able to believe what you see... I could be wrong but that's my personal view. Let's agree to disagree on this one.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0