02-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #98
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Is this really true? That would be impressive. I remember reading somewhere (fuzzy memory) that power falls off around 5800 rpm?
No worries - the only people who say that are people who don't own an F8x.

I came from an E9x M3 myself - and I took that car up to 8,400 rpm quite a few times (and enjoyed every second of it too)! But anyone who says that the S55 "runs out of breath" at high speed is dead wrong. Objectively - the dynos show constant horsepower peak up to 7300 rpm (which for a turbo is very good - only 300 short of the 7,600 redline). And before the haters get on here and say "well - but the torque drops off after 5700 rpm..." keep in mind that the S55 at 7,600 rpm is still making significantly more torque that the S65 at high rpm's. So even though the torque/horsepower curves of the S55 and S65 are going to be different - a stock S55 is going to have a noticeably faster rate of acceleration at any rpm. Also - keep in mind that the S65's torque curve also begins to drop off significantly before reaching 7,000 rpms.

Subjective experience (over 8000 miles on the F80) completely backs up the objective data above as well. My F80 (bone stock) accelerates like an absolute maniac in the 5500-7400 rpm range - and the decrease in rate of acceleration for those last 200 rpms is barely detectable.

So - for those of you who would rather have an E9X or an RS5 vs. an F80 - absolutely nothing wrong with that opinion - those are both fantastic cars. But misstating facts is a completely different story than having a contrary opinion (and unfortunately is a shockingly common theme on this forum)...

[End rant]...
Appreciate 1