Thread: M3/4 Reviews
View Single Post
      02-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

The CCB price always throws off the as tested price. I commented about this exact thing in another thread. I know BMW released most press cars with the CCB's. Its a shame because from almost all accounts the standard brakes are great and a big step up from previous gen M3 brakes.

You have to read reviews with some level of intelligence. Does any car enthusiast use Consumer Reports as their be all end all in reviews? No, because their interests are not aligned with ours. Even dedicated auto journalists can look at a car from a different perspective. I'll read for enjoyment, but I don't care if a Corvette or 911 beats the M3/4 in a review. I need back seats, the vette has none and the 911's are fit only for a small child.

Now if reviews consistently come back saying terrible brakes, fussy peaky engine, disjointed suspension setup, or poor fit and finish; I'll be concerned. Those are not things to expect. The M3 is too important to the BMW brand image for it to be a dog. Can it be beaten, of course. It may get passed by this gen C63 or ATS-V but it won't be embarrassed.

Most of the negativity revolves around the electric steering (sorry but hydraulic is going the way of the dinosaur so deal with it), turbo engine (personal preference), too many settings (one of my favorite features and you get two M buttons to store your favorite settings), and price (duh, options are at your discretion, current M3 well priced to competition).

These are nonissues in my book. It comes down to subjective feel. That's an individual decision.

BTW, the biggest negative to the M3/M4 is the botched production schedule so far.

Last edited by OneRib; 02-18-2015 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 1