View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Fast_Future
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

New Spring system: Macht Schnell Sport Competition springs: REVIEW

I have been lowering my cars for the last 15 years. I have gone through multiple brands, Eibach, Koni/H&R, KW V2 etc since I have been doing this and have always had a lot of fun doing it!

My car:
2015 F80 M3
Stock suspension:
Non-adaptive (passive)
Exterior
M Performance front lip
M Performance Carbon Fiber front splitters
M Performance F30 side skirt blades
M Performance Carbon Fiber rear diffuser
M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirrors
Wheels:
OEM e92 ZCP 359M Competition wheels in black
18mm Macht Schnell Spacers in front
Exhaust:
M Performance Exhaust with Carbon Fiber finishers
Interior
M Performance race display steering wheel
M Performance Carbon Fiber DCT selector
M Performance Carbon Fiber hand brake
M Performance floor matts
M Performance illuminated door sills
Macht Schnell EVC (Exhaust valve control module)

When I picked up the F80, I ended up lowering it on H&R Sport springs. The look was great but once the wow factor wore off, I felt that the car lost some of the ride sportiness that it had when it was stock. It became a little soft actually in the way that it handles bumps, so I pulled the springs off and went back to stock.

I saw a new spring on the market from Macht Schnell with an interesting approach to handle the rear fender cut line on the F80. Their kit comes with aluminum spacers to fine tune the rear ride height. I have been using Macht Schnell spacers and intake components, Exhaust control module etc on my cars since the e92 M3 days so I trusted the brand to make something of quality with a focus more on function than form.

European Auto Source allowed me behind the scenes to document the installation. Here it is!

The Unboxing: Springs were packaged very nice to avoid any rubbing. Each coil was individually wrapped and separated by cardboard. Springs are finished in a very nice looking matte black finish while the aluminum rear spring spacers are anodized in gold aluminum-very cool!

Stock vs Macht Schnell Sport Competition Springs: The Stock springs are on the left in gloss black while the MS Sport Comp springs are on the right finished in matte black. It was interesting to see the difference in spring heights, I also love how the new springs are black so it retains an OEM look and doesn't draw attention to something being modified like a red or blue spring would.

Installation: Installation looked easy. No issues along the way.

Before and after measurements: The overall drop was about 1" up front and a little under 1" in the rear

Stock on top, Macht Schnell Sport Competition springs on the bottom:

Driving impressions: I am 100% satisfied with my decision to lower the car again. I was worried that the ride would be similar to the H&R Sport springs I previously had, but this is an entirely new experience. I no longer cringe or tense up when I see a bump approaching, I feel confident in sweeping turns with bumps or imperfections in them, no creaking while turning at low speeds, just pure controlled, predictable fun! The rebound feels firm-not harsh or brittle. Its perfect in my opinion.

Finished photos:

Last edited by Fast_Future; 08-06-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 8