02-02-2017, 02:47 AM   #32
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanaltaf View Post
The OP has a video posted that shows you what you can expect as far as the interface is concerned. On my 2017 M2 with NBT Evo / iDrive 5 stock, I did not lose any functionality. So far I am enjoying it You can easily code it back if you don't like it.

For the coding -

In the HU_NBT2 Module:

3000 -> HMI_ID_VERSION set to: id6_light (id5_plus_plus is default)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
The video shows nearly every screen of which one could take a shot. It looks just like that.

japanaltaf's reply has what coding is needed.

This already is stock in some cars now and will be in the next F8x's. The programming for the different layout and the new tiles is already right there in the ECU, so the coding just switches skins, really.

Both of the above are based on the assumption that you're starting with iDrive 5 as your original interface (so, a 2017 F8x, for example).

It adds "live" or "active" tiles. Since it shows only 3 at a time and not all 6, that might conceivably count as "lost functionality", but apart from that nothing is actually different in terms of function. I think it looks prettier overall.

It's reversible.

Edit: in some respects, showing only half the tiles at a time might truly be reduced functionality depending on how you use iDrive. I'm finding it a bit annoying that I have to switch screens sometimes. On the other hand, I never previously drove around with the tiles showing because there was no point, so it's absolutely no loss for me. The live tiles are actually useful, so I now default to the main menu most of the time. I just wish it were possible to rearrange them so I could have my 3 favorites displayed at the same time, but I see no reason to believe that's possible.
Thank you for your detailed responses. I shall try this out at the weekend.