Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
1. Yes

2. I don't recommend you flash back to stock map before dealer visits, flashing back to stock will trigger a "DME Manipulated" code. This tells them that your ECU has been unlocked/tuned etc. I would just take it in with the BM3 Tune that code will not show up that way.

3. There has been lots of talk and hearsay about such things that BMW has made with the latest software updates, not sure if anything is confirmed though. Last time I took my car to the dealership was in November and no one mentioned a thing about my tune.
Thanks for the insight. I asked similar questions in the HEX thread also, as that's the other tune I'm considering, and got somewhat different answers...

This is what the other poster said, edited for brevity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
One: It's my understanding that it's advised to NOT let a dealer update your software(/I-STEP). Since crypto data is swapped out, and not simply added in some non-destructive way (from what I understand anyway), there's a high likelihood that a dealership may not even be *able* to update your DME, without first either replacing it with a virgin one, or carrying out the steps to virginize it. (You'd have to pay out-of-pocket for either, since this isn't simply some warranty-able problem.)

Two: Yes, there are codes that do show up; I've seen them myself on customers' and friends' cars. I'll abstain from going into greater detail than that.

Three: well beyond my scope, but I can say that there are various "tiers" of "hidden" codes, e.g. codes that only show up in ISTA (diagnostic software in use by shops during all service visits), as well as information (not necessarily 'codes' per se) that reside in FASTA data, and are transferred via ISTA once the "vehicle test" routine is carried out (the first routine that ISTA performs upon connecting to a vehicle).

Is it because BM3 works differently? Or that perhaps someone's understanding of the nuances isn't totally accurate?

And my thoughts on it are:

I think tuners should be transparent with this stuff and come right out and deal with it in their FAQ's, since it's going to be one of the key concerns for people in warranty, and then they can make an informed decision as to the cost/benefit, and how much risk they're willing to take, if it ever comes down to having a warranty issue.

We knew that stuff pretty clearly back in the E9x platform days, and everyone made their own decision as to the type of tune they got, and what they did when going in for service. Some didn't bother removing their piggybacks when going in, some like me, were super careful and did so even for an oil change to take zero chances.

I've had my car flashed by the dealer over the years when I wasn't expecting it, so I would always uninstall my Cobb tune to be safe. If it's true that should they flash your car, issues can come up, it's pretty scary. Notes aren't always reviewed, and a tech can easily miss that note. Plus, intentionally telling them not to ever flash your car without permission to me is the biggest red flag. So I guess at that point, I might as well just be up front and tell them that I've got a tune on the car... Bummer.

This isn't the place to ask maybe, but any ideas if codes pop up with piggys too?
08 335 MT (RWD) | Cobb OTS E30 maps | AMS intercooler | AR DP's | K&N filter | KW V2's | M3 front control arms | Stoptech slotted rotors & Street Performance pads | Stoptech SS brake lines w/STR 600 fluid | PE mod

X3 35 with a few little mods
Appreciate 0