Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
WOW, what are the chances of that? They screwed up the LSB paint on both of our cars? Sounds like we both got taken care of by BMW so I have nothing but good things to say about how they handled it. But wow.

Let's share notes. Mine was very thin and you could see the base coat in direct sun at about 1-1.5 ft away. Under the paint meter it was registering 2-3mil so it was definitely thin. Do you recall the build date on your original LSB? Mine was 7/15 so I wonder if ours were both painted around the same time. I recall you had done your ED a week or two after mine in September.

Apparently pretty good if you own an LSB F8X.

My paint was in a pretty identical situation. Not exactly sure about the build date, but it was early September. Purchased in mid August and took ED 3rd week of October. Didn't notice (or expect) paint defects under the overcast German weather. Took redelivery in the United States on NYE. Noticed a few weeks later during a bright, sunny day that the paint was spotty and inconsistent. Took the car into the auto-collision repair shop of the dealership I purchased the vehicle at and didn't mention the paint defects to them. Got a call a couple hours later. The SA told me the paint was so thin that I better hope I don't get a scratch on the car. I told him that's all I needed to know and picked up my vehicle.

Got home and called BMW NA and filed a compliant with them They were very understanding and immediately escalated the concern and told me they will speak the the dealership and get back to me soon. About 1-2 hours later I received a call from the Service Director at the dealership. He asked that I bring the vehicle in to document/photograph. He said that in his 20+ years of working for the brand, he hadn't seen anything like that. He kept insisting that they fix the issue by repainting the entire vehicle which would take approximately 2-3 months to strip down, repaint and reassemble. I wasn't happy about that and told him there has to be a better solution.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I get a call from the same Service Director asking me to bring the car in for another evaluation. This time around they flew out the Director of Paint from Germany. I drove to the dealership that morning and met the Paint Director upon arrival. He got within 20-30 feet of my M3 and immediately said "this is unacceptable" and apologized many times. He was very understanding when I told him that I didn't pay for an individual paint color to only get 65% paint coverage. I explained how the dealership insisted on a repaint, but I wasn't going to accept that. He then asked me what would ultimately make me happy and I said, a new M3 with a proper paint application. He said to give him two weeks and he'll have an answer for me.

Just under two weeks later I receive a call from the original Client Advisor I purchased from. He said that BMW has approved my new vehicle and that he was calling to confirm my build order. I opted for the exact same build (that's what I wanted in the first place) and added the ZCP option to the mix. The vehicle is fully loaded except for the rear auto sun shade which I opted out of to save a few lbs.

Almost 1 year and 7,000 miles later I turned in the paint defective non-ZCP in for a flawless ZCP and could't be any happier.

According to BMW the Laguna Seca Blue color is very difficult to apply and often have this issue. I'm not sure I believe that. Seems odd that BMW couldn't resolve the issues since the first LSB rolled off the showroom floor. But it doesn't really matter since they took care of the issue and now I have ZCP. Woohoo!

Apologize for the long reply, but there was a lot involved in the process.

/// M3
Appreciate 2
DE Urlaub190.00
maniz617.00