View Single Post
      03-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
A couple more quick questions: why do you guys prefer running 18s on the track, vs 19s?

And, I understand why a square setup makes it easier to manage tire life, but do you loose any feel and balance of the car by not maintaining stagger?

Thanks.
Great question. Most BMWs , and other production cars, have built in under steer for safety reasons. By removing stagger you reduce understeer and add rotation, which may give you slight oversteer. Having said that I posted a conversation I had with Randy Pobst who told me that this car has perfect balance so leave the stagger. In spite of his advise I felt the front tires were undersized and had loss of grip on turn in. The best way to add grip to the front ( 265/275 ) is to move down to an 18 inch wheel for clearance. I must say the 18 square set up feels much better on turn in and the car rotates better, plus better and cheaper tire option that I can rotate. I am sure Randy can still turn a lap time 5 seconds faster than me on the stock set up but I am happy with the square option.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50