Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
except I said S5 not RS5.
My mistake - I suppose I must have read it wrong because I didn't expect to see that comparison made. An S5 is nice and sporty and so forth but the tradeoff in performance and driving experience vs. an M3 (or what we expect from the RS3) would make it a non-starter for many folks. Same reason an S4 has not been a viable option for most - it's positioned against a 340i or C43 (among others) and performs accordingly. For me, the value just isn't there anymore in that segment.

Quote:
I see some Canadian ordering guides but not US stuff posted earlier, so that definitely gets it close but it's still a bit of a guess at this point. low to mid 50s would definitely be more fair.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=70
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=79
price comparison is where the S5 and RS3 will compete. neither is a real competitor for an M3/M4, though. the RS3 may have a similar 0-60 time but overall it's going to fall way short as far as driving dynamics and experience. it may be an *alternative* for someone looking for a zippy, cool looking, beefy sounding, sporty interior having car... but it won't be nearly as good as a track day commuter.

thanks the pricing report, I looked and even Googled it. I think I'd definitely want a stripper model if I were to get one but seating position would need to be better. if not, that's where I'd go from the s5 sportback. and the reason I am comparing the two is because the S4/S5 is a nice car that feels more special than the MSport cars despite similar price/performance. the RS3 surely will be more rare and special than the S4/S5 but as a commuter car, the same money may be spent better on the larger models for me. neither would be my track car. that being said I haven't driven either yet but I do know my S3 has really started to bother me bc I sit so darn high in it. but otherwise it's quick (tuned), has a reasonably nice interior and looks pretty sharp, so an RS3 should make a fun commuter that's a step up.

Appreciate 0