View Single Post
      11-28-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Package

Smile Finally, she's here! (M4 Competition Package, San Marino Blue)

Finally collected the new M4 Competition Package a week and a half ago!

After plenty of advice from you guys on here, I ended up opting for:
- San Marino Blue
- Silverstone Extended Leather
- Black 666Ms

I'm glad I made that choice in the end, as it looks FANTASTIC. Pics attached for you all to enjoy!

I was previously a pretty active forum user before when I had my old M235i - I'll try to boost that activity again now that I've got my M4! Not sure what my plans are for the car quite yet, but watch this space!

I do have a few initial questions that you guys might be able to help with:

The dreaded and controversial "break in" topic...
I'm aware that there are so many conflicting opinions on this, so let's hope I'm not opening a can of worms here. I owned my previous BMW, my M235i, from brand new/factory. I followed the recommended break in procedure pretty reliably and went very easily until around the 1500 mile mark. It later became evident that this may not have been such a good plan, as the car burned oil big time. I would have to top it up at least once between services, usually twice, which wasn't ideal. The M4 is now nearly at 400 miles already. Unfortunately, on the day of collection I had to practically sit in traffic for the entire afternoon (roadworks ), so that wasn't the ideal start. Since then I've tried to vary the driving style as much as possible, always making sure the car is warm first of course. It's had a few harder runs up to about 6,500rpm, about one trip almost to the red line (I mean it's hard not to right ). It's not been easy at all though as I do a daily 20 mile round trip that consists almost entirely of your standard dual carriageway, littered with your usual 60mph in a 70mph zone idiots that entirely prevent you making any decent progress .
Anyway, I'm not particularly picky about the whole break in stuff these days. My key aim here is to avoid what happened with my M235i - to avoid oil burning issues and make sure the car is running strong, no lack in power whatsoever. So with the above considered, what's the best plan? Keep doing what I'm doing?

Noisy/clunky DCT?
My DCT makes one hell of a clunk, especially when starting up (with start/stop enabled). It literally sounds like it's going to burst through the floor of the car, you can even feel the clunk through the centre armrest! I know the DCT will always be a little more clunky than say a DSG box, but this seems excessive! Any thoughts?

Excessively squeaky brakes?
Good lord my brakes are squeaky, particularly at low speed. Worse than any car I've ever owned! It's running the standard M brakes, not the carbon ceramics. Normal or not?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by lazyrhino; 11-28-2018 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 8
GOLFFRR10876.00
canukgtp107.00
minn1914078.00
n3on82.00
xsheenx48.00
Simple1133.50
lavon2.00