United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Use the switch in the glove box...
While it's true that if the switch in the glove box is set to "Lock" the trunk won't open by using the kick-to-open feature, but you also can't open the trunk with the remote, or by pressing the switch under the license plate, or by pushing the button under the headlight switch. In other words, it's not possible to access the trunk at all, unless the switch is set to "Unlock". This is hardly a better solution to a problem that already has a simple solution.

The switch in the glove box is designed to be used when valeting the car, to prevent the valet from accessing your trunk. When you utilize this feature, you set the switch to "Lock", then remove the physical key from the key fob, physically lock the glove box with the key, take the key with you, and leave the fob for the valet.

If the OP chose to use this as a solution, before he gets out of the car he would have to remember to open the glove box, move the switch to "Lock", and then put his cover on. When he takes the cover off and gets into the car, he would have to remember to open the glove box and move the switch to "Unlock" otherwise he won't be able to access the trunk until he moves the switch to "Unlock". Since he doesn't like the solution of just removing the key from his pocket when putting the cover on, I doubt he would find this solution to his liking either because this method is even more complicated.
He can leave the cover in his car instead of trunk or simply remove the cover from the trunk before switching the trunk lock.

I take my washing supplies out of the trunk and then lock the trunk via the switch to keep the trunk from opening during washing. It literally takes less than a few seconds.

I guess you assume everyone wants to 100% disable the feature altogether?

Edit: I didn't know your solution was to walk away from your key until now. Where should someone put their key in OP's scenario or in mine (washing the car)?

Your solution to OP of opening his trunk leaving it open or leaving his cover out while finding a place to safely store the key out of reach is the most impractical and likely also the most unsafe option. No way would I be placing my key fob out of my pocket so that someone can have the opportunity to snatch it.
Appreciate 0