Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I never got to try an L-1011........

I remember being the traffic pattern in 1999 for Honolulu international. I was always amazed at looking at the 20 or so planes at various points of the landing pattern. The intricate nature of getting those planes to land.

As far as the safety of the airplanes goes, in the 70s 80s and 90s, I don't think the DC-10 was any worse than the 727, or 747. They had a problem with the back cargo door, which caused one horrific hull loss. The American Airlines flight out of Chicago crashed because the pilots didn't realize they only had 2 engines not three, and cut back power too far. If they'd known they only had 2 engines, they would've applied more power.
IIRC, when the engine left the wing it took with it the hydraulics on that side causing the leading edge slats to retract and then stall quicker than would be expected. Hence the left turn dive into the ground. That one was on AA maintenance cutting corners during engine mounting/dismounting weakening the pylon/leading to the detachment. Definitely one of the more horrible/completely preventable accidents in US aviation history.
It seems the hydraulics on that plane were a big problem. Because of that tail engine. Especially on the United flight that crashed in Iowa. When that fan blade wet, it shredded everything
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00