View Single Post
      05-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
2k1s
why did I modify a f83
Rep
Drives: 16 f83

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Question. How sophisticated is the "referee's" DME eval? If you use BM3, and flash back to stock and lock it...I find it difficult to believe they can see it was "tampered with". Am I wrong
I think it largely has to do with the referee. Mine failed every test they had other than the smog sniffer.

The issue with the BM3 is that if you go stage 1 it turns off your O2 sensors which would cause it to fail. I've talked to a guy who brought his car into the state tuned and he couldn't get it to pass smog because the sensors would not turn on. He drove almost 1000 miles still weren't on and he had to a dealership to have them turned back on. I don't know if that has changed since then but I am nervous that it will be something I have to deal with in the future.

The other fail could also possibly be that the manufacturer issues each car a ID number, it is cross checked in the data base. It's just a pass fail number. My car passed smog sniffer fine.

I have an active autowerkes full exhaust, he told me that the instructions are to test it basically half of red line or where the engine makes max power (his example for that being a s2k because the rev's would be way up there). Mine did a sweeping number which would be louder. I think mine clocked in somewhere around 109 db when the car was warm. I drove about 40 minutes to my station for that reason. I also failed the visual inspection due to the lack of cats in my exhaust. I'm switching to MPE for that reason even though the exhaust is louder. And weirdly because it's made by BMW they should be fine with it since it is OEM equipment. It seems incredibly silly to me.
Appreciate 2
blockdoc373.00
The_Werm214.00