08-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #1169
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
So, just to remind the new readers, you have the version of the model 3 with “performance” dual motors but all season 18s and non sport suspension from the base car

Just imagine the comments we would make on these forums if someone bought an f80 and swapped in all season 18s and non sport suspension from an f30 328.

It’s been 2 years of ownership for me and model 3P remains the most used car in my household. We have 2 non GT porsche right now (cayenne S left here by a friend who is traveling, plus my 6TT), a spec Miata with license plates, and an f31 330 and my wife and I are constantly asking each other who is using the model 3P that day

Edit: I just re read my post and damn, I am such a tesla fanboy right now, sorry. I am legit loving the car a lot and am even thinking of getting wider wheels with cup 2 tires and full coilovers for even more shenanigans around the canyons with the EV

Edit2: as thanks for my fanboy ness, my car almost bricked itself from the 12v battery needing to be replaced.
Hahah, well, the Model 3 Stealth is more like the Base M3 "Civic" with the 18s, but with supercar acceleration. It just happens to be a more comfy car to putt putt around in (like the base M3). It has the same track mode and motors as a Performance. The only thing I kinda wanted from the Performance were the bigger red brakes but no biggie, I prefer the more compliant ride with the 18s (which don't fit over the performance brakes anyways). I prefer the inconspicuous looks of the stealth. I already have a LSB and Imola M3 that gets more attention than I like. So having a normal looking Model 3 is great, especially in SoCal which seems like they are on every street corner these days.

I'm sure you know, with your big 20's, a Stealth would be a bit faster than a P3D, as well as more efficient with range. Also, with the AWD it certainly makes up for having a softer suspension when whipping it around turns. But I get why with your choices you'd reach for the P3D. I just happen to enjoy either the scream of the S54 or the spool and boosting of the F80 more since it has a visceral feel to driving it that you can't duplicate in a silent EV.

Don't get me wrong, I like our Tesla (its great for long trips, so quiet and comfy), but I'll always be a BMW fan. The Tesla is just the latest toy to hold me over until BMW makes a real EV. I'm not a fan of the poor build quality and frequent bugs with each software update with Tesla right now. At first I thought it was the coolest thing to keep getting updates. Then I realized each update was 2 steps forward with some new features, but 1 step back with something else breaking. It gets old after awhile and I look forward to bug fixes rather than new features. Oh well, this is the price of early adoption. As soon as BMW releases the i4 or i5 that gets the same range and performance and hopefully without the ugly giant grilles, I'm sure the Tesla will be up for sale.

edit: I should clarify for those not aware, a Stealth Model 3 is a Model 3 Performance minus the slightly lowered suspension, CF spoiler, uprated brakes with red calipers, and 20 wheels with PS4s. Its not a LR AWD with the speed boost. It has the same software and powertrain as a P3D. The Stealth was an off the menu special order Performance for people who wanted the performance without the looks of P3D. Its probably the best performance car bargain on the planet as it does 0-60 in about 3 secs flat. I believe you can still order it but it costs the same as P3D now which probably doesn't make sense. The original stealth was like 7K cheaper than a P3D (hence best performance bargain comment).

Last edited by MFNATIK; 08-24-2020 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0