09-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #41
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
What I will say is this...BMW has shown that they can recover from poor design choices (and designers...Looking at you Chris Bangle). My guess is that BMW does not have their head in the sand, but rather is realizing that this design architecture is quite polarizing, however they also have a burgeoning car market in China that is clamoring for crap like what they produced and they are trying to walk the fine line between pleasing that market and retaining their tried and true western buyers. They took a gamble and it seems to initially be a thud. The problem is they just can't mothball it and throw it away at this juncture. They have unzipped their pants and the urine is already flowing. The best hope is a softening of the front end with an LCI refresh...and hopefully a short lifespan of the G series and a quick launch of the next generation by maybe 2025? I have faith they will come around again. They did after the Bangle adventure and I'm sure they will after this. Sometimes you miss when you swing hard, sometimes you hit a homerun. This appears to be a hard miss. I'm not ready to give up on the brand yet, but I'll be holding on to my F82 for a while.
I know you mean well but you're giving Dukec far more credit than Chris Bangle b/c Bangle made one minor misstep that turned into an industry trend that others copied. So if anything, Bangle was pushing the boundaries for BMW and in some ways was ahead of his time, which BMW came to realize that's really not what the typical BMW owners/enthusiasts want. We prefer our cars sporty but classy, not over styled.

Dukec is overturning decades of BMW language (removing the H-kink, using a vertical grille, copying Japanese cars in general, etc) and destroying the way we see BMWs. Now I have to do a double take anytime I see a G20 on the road b/c I can't tell it from a Lexus until I get close enough to see the badge. That to me is a BAD thing. Its like BMW has lost its identity while trying to be "different" when in reality, BMW was already different b/c they were, BMW.

Hopefully BMW get's a clue and does a quick LCI in 2 years and a complete redesign or sunsetting of the G series in 4-5 years. Might as well since EVs are about to take over soon anyways in about 10 years.
Appreciate 7
The_Werm214.00
GrussGott18207.50
minn1914078.00
ntg442891.50
ra2289308.50
Mr. Hankey1180.00