02-02-2024, 02:31 PM   #42
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Do you have a TLDR ver? Good explanation, but do you?
Haha, that was a little in the weeds there! OP asking if adding a tune (more power) could increase chances of his hub spinning. I guess TLDR would be that I believe it's plausible, because I think there are some mechanisms where higher torque puts greater loading on the crank hub:

1. Higher torque via a tune = higher cylinder pressure = exhaust valve opening against higher cylinder pressure = higher force needed to open exhaust valve = more torque needed to turn cams against higher valve force = more torque must be transmitted to valve train via the crankhub.

2. Torque isn't constant during a crank revolution; torque and crank speed pulse up and down during crank rotation due to each individual cylinder's torque contribution. With each pulse up and down, the crank hub will try to accelerate/decelerate all of the rotating assemblies its turning (valve train, oil pumps, water pump, harmonic balancer, alternator, pulleys, etc.). This loads the crankhub because of all the rotational inertia of those parts. So if torque increases (via a tune), I propose the amplitude of the individual torque/speed peaks from each power stroke will also increase. If the individual torque/speed peaks increase, then the crankhub will try to accelerate/decelerate all those rotating components I mentioned faster for each individual pulse, which requires more torque to be transmitted through the crank hub.

I don't know how significant those affects are (maybe not at all), but they seem plausible to me.
Appreciate 1