View Single Post
      02-28-2024, 11:41 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb1974 View Post
It has now been ~500 miles since I had new rear pads and rotors installed. The whirling sound is not as bad as it was at first. I have noticed, however, that my brakes sound like what you hear from about 14:35 to 14:38 in this video:

This guy is slowing down after being on the track (though his brakes appear to be new). My car makes this sound when applying the brakes at street speeds. Is that normal? Sorry for the repeated questions, I just want to make sure that there is not anything wrong.
The whirling/humming sound? That’s all I hear, and I’ve listened twice, unless I missed it. It’s caused by the holes in the rotor. It’s typically worse when you first install new rotors and pads because there can be a lip, albeit small, that can amplify things. The 500 miles - were they more highway miles with little braking or more side streets with frequent stops from 50 or 45 mph? Also, the rear brakes only provide ~25% of the braking so they take considerably more mileage before they fully wear in. Furthermore, it depends on how hard you’re applying the brakes; e.g., slowly dragging the brakes to stop the car from 45 mph is barely using the brakes vs. quickly stopping from 45 mph, so-called late braking, with the brakes applied at 75+% of their capability which is more heavily using the brakes. The sound also gets quieter as the holes get packed full of brake dust. That noise is always there when using rotors with holes and, generally, it gets to the point where you don’t notice it. Try more aggressively braking for the next ~50 miles and see/hear what happens. The last picture of your rotors that you posted showed no pad transfer (still looked like bare iron), have they started to turn a more darker gray yet?
Appreciate 0