View Single Post
      03-20-2024, 02:05 AM   #21
seanm500
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
First, you find out how simple it is to swap between street and track pads. It takes longer to loosen the lug bolts (or nuts if using studs), jack up and remove the wheel.

Second, unless you can live with brakes squealing extremely loudly and race pads that are quickly removing material from the rotors, you’ll want to swap back to a street setup. There’s two types of braking - abrasive and ablative. Ablative is when the pad is up to temperature and is riding on, and wearing away, the layer of pad material that’s been transferred to the rotor surface. This is how you want your brakes to operate on the street. Abrasive is when you have a brake pad with a very high COF that is being used at temperatures far below its operating temperature. Instead of riding on the transfer layer, the brake pad is literally machining away surface material from the brake rotor; i.e., pads are acting like a brake lathe. So not only will you have to live with pads that can wake the dead, you’ll also be going thru rotors pretty quickly.

Third, I have had zero issues when swapping street and race pads. I use Carbotech 1521 street compound on all of my cars and have not run into a single incompatible pad material issue with Hawk, Cobalt, PFC, etc., when swapping between street and race compounds. I just do a quick two-cycle rebedding process. First rebedding is to clean the street compound off of the rotors + get the rotors up to temp and then a second rebedding to transfer the race pad compound to the rotors.
Appreciate your input, thank you! I'm not really worried about the rotor wear since I will be using FCP euro for the rotors, but I do care about the daily drivability and noise. That said, you've convinced me, so I'm thinking I will probably run the Ferodo DS2500s for now, get through my first few events, and re-evaluate what kind of race pad to run once I have a better sense of how much I am pushing them based on my pace/capability. I was thinking I wanted to jump straight into the race pads to save some $$, but I suppose that is my lack of experience talking. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0