View Single Post
      04-30-2024, 06:47 PM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
How would software calibration change what is typically described as feedback through the wheel during steady-state steering inputs? I can understand sense of resistance/loading as one turns the wheel, but things like vibrations from the road surface I don't see how software could alter that (this is more related to lack of a hydraulic system). Unless we're thinking that the EPS motor somehow, based on the calibration in place, applies some inverse function to effectively cancel out transmitted vibrations (like noise-canceling headphones)... but I'm pretty sure that's now how it works
From my personal experience, going from base eps to GTS made a huge improvement in the overall performance and feel of the eps. It removed all of the dead spot on the wheel center. It also increased the steering effort. I did notice a slight difference in vibrations making it to the steering wheel. The only thing I can think of is there’s a torsional vibration damper/isolator in-line with the steering column. The GTS eps eliminates the dead spot on center and I don’t see how software alone can add/reduce sloop in the center of the steering (+/- 0 deg). The same mechanism may be in play with removing the dead spot and allowing more vibration to come thru the steering wheel. I haven’t looked into BMW eps so I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0