09-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
I read a thread here a minute ago about steering wheel noises and I am wondering if anyone has had any resolution? My car is two weeks old and I noticed when pulling in to the garage that the steering wheel makes almost like a power steering pump noise on every rotation to the left (not to the right) a very slight vibration with a buzz/hum type noise. Thoughts ?.....otherwise the car has been 100% and I don't like stressing about it. My closest dealer is 250 km away.
JV
I'm going to take the counter-opinion, and say "don't worry about it". I've often had power steering noises in my cars that are very similar to what you've described, and its never turned out to be anything other than normal. I would keep note of it, and bring it to your dealer's attention the next time you're in Calgary or Edmonton, but there's no need to make a special trip for it. I know I get a similar noise in my grandfather's old Mercedes when I'm at the edge of my turning radius, and even my Porker has slight undulations when the wheel is cocked all to one side. Why this always seems to happen in one direction and not the other I do not know... but it does seem to be the case.

If you're really nervous, I would recommend calling a service department and describing it to them; they may be able to tell you whether it is normal or not.

I know this is your $50k+ baby, but its going to be ok, even if it has its little cholicky moments. Unfortunately, the only way to make sure you have a completely perfect car is to buy a model. Every used automobile will have problems of varying degree... even the $500k+ ones
Appreciate 0