View Single Post
      10-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #381
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

Somewhat silly question tangentially related to the run-in service: I took delivery of an MY19 M4 in January of 2019, The car was apparently born in September 2018, and I had the run-in service performed at 1200 miles in September 2019 (I have several other cars and don't run a lot of miles in the BMW).

Now that the car is a year old, it's calling for another oil change; apparently, the M4's computers want oil every year or 10k miles. I was under the impression that the run-in "didn't count" toward this oil change, despite it including an oil change with the rest of the service.

My dealership's BMW Genius was initially under the impression that I should bring in the car for the one-year oil change; however, my SA says that it's not indicated, and I need to wait for 10k miles or 6 months past the one-year date. Here's the info I received:

"What you're experiencing is actually just how things work on lower-mileage cars, and something that I didn't realize happens. When an M car comes in for its 1200-mile service, the regular oil change interval counter does not get reset in the car, but it does on BMW's back-end. This makes it such that we wouldn't be able to do an oil change and have it covered under the maintenance plan, but does mean that unfortunately you will just have to keep ignoring the car's warnings until you reach 10k miles or until next June comes around.

[The SA] said in the past we have tried to work around this by manually re-programming the interval in the car, but doing that altered the car's entire service schedule, which shifted services required by time to happen too late and not line up properly to the car's birth month and odometer readings."

Is this how the service intervals work? Am I to simply keep ignoring the oil change reminders/chimes until 10k?

Thanks so much for any info!
Appreciate 0