05-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #254
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Although it is a relatively small factor, the supposed better fuel economy of the DCT has me leaning that way. If the manual has better efficiency, then it's back to the stick for me.
Even if there is a difference, it will be minimal at best and your individual driving style will prevail when it comes to the "real life" number. I wouldn't at all have the transmission choice of the vehicle (which is $2900) depend on some EPA test numbers. Given the delta, I think you should choose EXACTLY what makes you happy because they are two different experiences, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
From what I know of the F30 platform to date (n20/n26/n55), the 8 speed auto is rated better than the 6MT - but real world reports seem to indicate they are the same or even that the 6mt does slightly better.

Now I would expect the 8AT to do better given two additional gears, IDK, but I do know that manufacturers more and more game the setup for government fuel economy ratings. And they can best do that with automatic transmission compared to manuals.
I agree! I think it's all based on who is driving and the ratings are exactly what they are labeled as: estimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
maybe the American EPA test drivers are just lazier when driving stick than Europeans and less likely to downshift??
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0