03-31-2020, 05:38 AM   #3109
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I also shaved because I wear a mask nowadays - it's not one I could've donated as it was previously used - actually we both wear one when we go anywhere likely to have crowds or we have to stand in line like the grocery store.

On a related note, contrary to stuff in the media, any type of mask is better than nothing for covid and plain ole 100% cotton is actually one of the better things you can use. I'd recommend everyone wear a mask of some sort until your area is under controlled management. For example you could use a hiking dust neckerchief and then wash it out each time.

Some people have pointed out that, even for N95 masks, the micron size of the virus particle is smaller than the smallest opening - that's true, however it doesn't mean masks of even large size aren't effective due to how airflow works (or water flows or traffic moves). When you breathe in, you create a large inflow through those few holes; this takes all of the particles in the air and jams them together, trying to stuff them through and since there's not enough space, they get blocked but air doesn't.

This is also why even cotton works: if you're in a space with a lot of particles they all jam up in front of the openings, but if there's only one or two virus particles that could get through you're highly unlikely to encounter them.

Anyway, point is, you may feel goofy, but masks work; and all of our best defense is to not get the virus in the first place. Asians figured this out 10 years ago with SARS which is why masks are so common there, this pic is from a convenience store in Tokyo 5 months ago, masks are just part of the culture there

I find the whole ”should I wear a mask” conversation very interesting because both the CDC and the WHO say don't wear a mask if you're not infected.

But then at the same time I have people in my neighborhood making masks out of all sorts or materials for the healthcare professionals.

So is the advice simply to help the supply for those professionals tho wearing a mask could actually be helpful to anyone going out?
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18156.50