View Single Post
      07-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
JSBhopal
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Smile F80 - Unusual Heavy Steering Feel - Now Corrected!!

Hi Folks!

Wondering if somebody can help me with this, it's quite a strange situation.

Basically, my steering started to feel significantly heavier approximately six months ago across all settings comfort, sports and sports plus. Sports plus was insane.

I didn't think much of it as I fitted 15mm spacers all around approximately one year ago and thought it was most probably due to those. I love the look of the spacers but didn't particularly like the feel of the steering anymore. I just put it down to a compromise I thought I had to live with and did just that.

So my car has been parked up for three days now, haven't used it at all until today. Temperature was about 30° out in Birmingham UK (Thats unusually warm!)

So as I was driving my car today, the steering just felt, well, normal!
I was extremely surprised that my car just felt 100% stock again, like it came from the dealer. (To the point where I actually stopped the car to get out and check in case somebody had removed the spacers!)

Just to make sure it wasn't my perception, I had my friend and my brother drive it. They two agreed that the car was significantly different and the difference was very noticeable.

I just want to try and understand what happened and how I can prevent my steering from feeling the way it was when it was heavy!

1.Was it a problem with the power steering that has all of a sudden corrected itself?
2. is the Power steering fluid that sensitive to temperature enough to cause heavy steering when its cold?
3. is this something I should be concerned about?

I just don't know!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J
Appreciate 0