09-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #49
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
The 5-bolts mount was part of the LCI modifications to increase steering feel. This noise was fixed in the F3x by a new steering rack insert kit as discussed before. Nothing for the F8x other than replacing the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
The top hat itself is the same, but it's rotated into a different orientation in-car. Check list 10 . . . I suspect the load path doesn't line up as neatly with the recessional motion path on the passenger side.

I think the 5 bolt mounts were an attempt to fix this problem, but didn't completely eliminate it. I've driven another members 2017 car in my test bump and the noise is there but mine is significantly worse.

Now the tough question: how to fix it?
The only reason the 5 bolt mount would increase steering feel is if there was too much compliance in the joint. Which is exactly the same thing that would cause this clunk noise.

The F3X and F8X gears are completely different, made by different suppliers. I haven't seen any actual evidence that the noise is coming from the steering gear on the F8X, and plenty of evidence indicates that this is the problem (on my car at least).