View Single Post
      04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4
I'm doing Euro Delivery on an M4 in a couple of weeks with a large group of people who are all buying M cars. Our itinerary is timed so that we will have accumulated 1200 miles prior to arriving in Stuttgart a week later, where the BMW dealer will be doing the 1200 mile service for all 15 of our cars. From there we will be going to Nurburgring for Touristenfahrten on Sunday, after which we'll be meeting up with the RS Touring group for a one-day track session at Circuit Park Zandvoort and then a one-day track session at Spa-Francorchamps.

When we have the 1200 mile service performed, we have the opportunity to have BMW Sport pads installed during the service. These are the same pads that are used on the M2 at the Performance Center West. The part numbers are 3411 4805 259 and 3421 4805 259 (not sure which is front and which is rear). I don't yet know the cost of the pads or the installation cost. I don't really want to spend the money on these pads and installation, particularly when I could change the pads in about an hour myself, but I also don't want to run out of brakes at Spa.

My wife and I will be sharing my M4, doing 4-8 laps at Nurburgring, and sharing the car for the 2 track days. We are both "A" drivers at BMW CCA HPDEs. I'm not planning to push the car very hard at Nurburgring. I'll be more aggressive at Zandvoort and Spa, but not as aggressive as I would be at a local track that I'm more familiar with. After Spa, we're driving directly back to Munich to drop the cars off, about a 6.5 hr. drive.

So my question is, do you think that the stock pads will last for 4-8 laps at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, one track day at Zandvoort and 1 track day at Spa? Or should I have the Sport pads installed at the dealer in Stuttgart?

Logistical considerations are getting the stock pads back home. I really don't want the added weight in either our checked luggage or our carry-on luggage. I thought about just putting them in the compartment under the trunk floor but I have no idea whether they'd make it home or not. If not, I'd probably get another pair of the stock pads and save the Sport pads for the next track session. If I don't get the Sport pads installed in Germany, I'll probably get a set of Hawk or Pagid pads for a Laguna Seca track event in August, after my car gets back home.

So will the stock pads be OK or should I have the Sport pads installed?
Nordschleife is hard but not torture on the stock pads/rotors unless you're really attacking it hard. Most of the Tourist Speed Restrictions have been raised or eliminated, but some are still in place (and more heavily enforced).

Zandvoort and Spa are going to be quite a bit harsher. All 3 combined plus the driving distance to the circuits themselves is pushing it IMO. The M Performance Sport Pads are a good idea and easier to deal with since you're doing the 1200mi service anyway. They are a Pagid RS29 variant (typically branded Textar or ///M). The stock rotors are quite sturdy and should be able to cope well with the pads for that duration. Keep cool down in mind since the pads will bring everything up to a higher temp so the rotors need a bit of extra time and airflow to prevent major spot deposition.

If you want to keep the standard pads without the hassle, drop them off at a DHL office and shipped over near the end of the trip.
Appreciate 1