View Single Post
      05-12-2016, 03:50 AM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
It looks like most of us that are doing the track days are going to try and do a group buy and have the Pagid RS29s shipped to Munich to arrive prior to our delivery. One possible source for the brakes is run by a guy who used to be a student of one of our group members, a BMW CCA instructor for over 15 years, so we're anticipating a good deal.

Now we just have to figure out the logistics of changing brake pads on 10-12 M2s, M3s, and M4s without any of our tools, hopefully in the week prior to arriving at Nurburgring to give the brakes time to get bedded in.

My wife and I are flying Lufthansa Premium Economy and we are allowed two checked bags each, even though we're only checking one each. We may check a box with a 17mm deep socket, breaker bar, torque wrench (gotta check that mine goes to 105 lb/ft), and a caliper pin knockout tool. Then all we'll need is a floor jack.
If it's 10 or more for certain and you guys haven't sourced a place, I can recommend a couple of options for getting the pads there and installation support.

One important note, if anyone in the Group spec'd MCCB's, pads are an absolute must and the BMW break-in procedure (not Porsche, Ferrari, etc) followed. The pad change is a bit longer as well for that system, but it will be far easier on the rotors at Zandvoort and Spa since the pads are softer and spread a nice thick deposit at 500c and help keep them out of the danger zone for a shorter period. Nurburgring isn't too hard on them.

If anyone in the group is flying American, I'll donate use of my freight account for free since one of the organizers helped me out at Roebling Road (just don't smuggle anything unsavory...that won't go over well...and pay it forward). The process is easy if the instructions are followed and is done at a specific passenger check-in desk. They'll transit on the same flight and be available to retrieve on the carousel or in a pickup office near baggage claim on arrival. PM me if interested.

Another option is to see if it can be arranged with BMW to have the Sport Pads installed before or after pickup at the welt. It's a long shot at the last minute, but far stranger requests have been accommodated.

I've had the impression that track-side tech support is included with RS Touring events but possibly this is just too large of a group to handle so many brake swaps. We (partners included) are running at least 6 cars at Nurburgring 24, but have 9 entered. The decision on whether one or more of the BMW's will actually compete is still undecided as I can't drive and we're two short already due to the earthquakes in Japan. There there is a slight chance we'll have 2 full crew there to pick up slack with the other two teams. The U.K. Team has some slack as well since we're not running any LMP cars this year. That probably doesn't fit the group schedule though since that's at the end of the trip. I could see if there is a way to send 2 techs and a chief over early, but I can't donate that for free and it won't be a bargain. Something the group and organizers should discuss.
Appreciate 0