View Single Post
      05-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've been on three driving trips in Germany, one in 1987, and two Euro Deliveries, one in 2011, and one I just returned from.

The 1987 two-week trip was way before the Internet, e-mail, and the WWW, and International calls were expensive, so I only made a few reservations in places that I knew I wanted to stay at, notably Rothenburg ob der Tauber, where it would probably be impossible to stay without a reservation during peak season, and also at the end of our trip. We drove until it was time for dinner, then stopped in the nearest town and found a pension where we could get a meal and a room. My girlfriend at the time was not real happy with this approach and preferred a much more structured approach. We broke up after that trip.

Our 2011 two-week trip, with my wife, was planned so that we had a circular route and things we wanted to stop and see along the route. That was a great trip and we both fully enjoyed it, and we saw most of the things we wanted to, and found lots of other stuff not on our original list.

The three-week trip that I just returned from, was with a group of 32 BMW enthusiasts. We picked up a total of 15 BMW M cars at BMW Welt in a huge group delivery and it required an incredible amount of advanced planning to make sure that everything happened when and where it was supposed to happen, including special tours at BMW Classic, BMW Welt, BMW M Headquarters, and track days at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Circuit do Spa-Francorchamps. These kinds of things just don't happen spontaneously. It was hectic at times, but the end results were amazing and satisfying.

In your case, with your Dad, especially since it is his idea, this should be a blast!

Last edited by SD ///M4; 06-01-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0