Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
And now here come the M owners about to say the M340i is not a true M car and shouldn't be in the same category. Lol.
But they aren't.............

M cars are design by bmw M team, M340 isn't............

Unless there no longer is a bmw M team or bmw has changed that development process.
The M340 has the same exact aluminum suspension (with a ///M stamp), brakes and identical electronic 100% locking LSD as a "real" M car..

Does it need to be anointed by the M gods themselves for it to be christen a true M car?

I get that you guys are trying to distinguish between the two variants but the pie has been cut so thin nowadays that separating M and M Performance is almost a pointless exercise, other than for the bragging rights.

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of the M340i before I drove one but man, that car is a rocket, handles just as good as an M2 and is as M as it's really all one would need for regular road driving, with a little pep.

The electronic 100% locking LSD was the crown-jewel of all M cars over the standard models but now that BMW has leveled the playing field and made them common amongst all, so I really don't see the advantage of an official M car anymore.
No one said the M340 isn't great, it is very great. But it isn't doesn't deserve the M moniker on the rear of the trunk, per its not designed/tuned by BMW M - in my opinion. I don't own an M, may never own one. That's cool with me, love my non-M
Appreciate 0