01-18-2019, 12:46 AM   #411
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_CaptFlashheart View Post
do you need me to email or text for an updated file with increased burbles? Mine sound very quiet and would prefer more like dominos above video in sport + mode. cheers.
Shoot me an email or text! I'll get something to ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
Wow V2.2 flat tq is great car pulls like a freight train. Throttle is much better drives very close to stock. Vary nice improvement over V2.1. Will send you some logs today.
I'm working through mapping needs tonight! Finally got some spare time with the wife getting home earlier todat ... 4am vs. 9am (swing shift vs. grave).

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Yeh it's always worked, just been quieter than sport

Another item I keep forgetting, start up roar needs to be louder as it's not comparable to stock zcp atm
Hmm.. I'll check the valve opening at startup see if its lower than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
Does anyone have a dyno of Flat Torque V2.2? What's the difference from the original FT tune?
Too much to list! I touch on some of it 1 page back

Quote:
It's to do with the throttle sensitivity - it's still a bit too sensitive for me, so when getting back on throttle to just creep up speed it feels on/off in sport plus - in efficient and sport it's fine

I've asked Anthony to further reduce throttle sensitivity for me on next map
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Gotcha - yeah, the OEM throttle mapping is fantastic in this regard. You have very precise control of the power output as you tip into the throttle, at any rpm, in Sport+. It's aggressive but ultra svelte = bliss.

Honestly, a tuner should never, ever touch the throttle mapping if at all possible (I realize that this may be different for a turbo application) as it almost always results in a step down from stock.

We want high resolution control.
Quote:
from what i understand, the throttle tip in is not independent of adding power

the way this ecu is defined, adding power makes the throttle more sensitive, it is then up to the tuner to find ways to scale this back

having tried 3 different platforms now, some tuners do it better than others.....hence why i'm here working with Anthony to dial in the maps further
The increased sensitivity isn't from manipulation/table changes or a deliberate increase in "throttle mapping". We actually go out of our way to REDUCE sensitivity from the start. I'll explain some more.

Because this is a valvetronic engine, what is conventionally "more accel pedal = more throttle body opening" is now "more accel pedal = more valve lift".

The throttle body is open nearly all the time and is used more as a backup/failsafe; especially when MDM or Traction Control is active.

With tuning, we begin by requesting more TQ and cylinder air filling. This does a few things in the ECU software -- the two that contribute to the sensitive throttle are:

*Commands the ECU to increase valve lift (at lower engine speeds/accel pedal angles) in order to reach target TQ values.
- Because the TB is almost always open (~40% or so at all times [unless WOT]), the air is already available at the valve face, and can immediately enter the cylinder with a change in valve lift. This is why you may notice that at idle, intake manifold pressure is shows the same as (or very close to) matching atmospheric pressure while data logging. There is no high vacuum that you'd get from a shut throttle body.

In a conventional engine (without valvetronic) after the TB opens, the air has to move though the IM before getting to the valve and entering the cylinder. In a conventional intake/TB system this is what you may perceive as throttle lag --- that simply doesn't exist for the S55; so we scale back the "aggressiveness" and lift at these lower engine speeds/throttle demands.

*Increase turbo response by closing WG a bit more to achieve TQ targets values (at lower engine speeds/accel. pedal angles)
-This keeps the turbo responding quicker which causes boost to rise sooner, entering the cylinders faster (consider valvetronic, too).

These are the reasons and need to dial back the "throttle mapping" -- which you may now understand is actually accel pedal to valve lift relationship/demand.

---- With all the above in mind, too -- I think I know why burbles may seem a bit muted in Sport+ vs. Sport with some of the tune files ...

In Sport+ the Wastegate is a bit more 'shut' than usual, and may be suppressing some noise (burble).

Ive noticed this is more prevalent on cars with an aftermarket exhaust. We only have stock exhaust on our dev cars, and do't notice a difference. Still doing some work to find an appropriate way to make it more appealing to Tommy L Garage and domino_z. One way to overcome the difference is with a "pop bang" style of burble -- then you wouldn't really notice the difference.

~Anthony

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-18-2019 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 4
MR RIZK757.50
shay2nak1070.00
ssgm1x418.50
domino_z1253.00