View Single Post
      12-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I won't have the really technical answers, but I can chime in where I know a thing or 2, mainly Bilstein Damptronic kits.

First thing - There are 2 Bilstein Damptronic kits "available" for this platform.

The first, is Bilstein B16 Damptronic - this is a full plug & play coil over system, including shocks,springs, and all the related hardware. This kit is 100% plug and play for EDC cars - just swap out and drive. Also height adjustable.

The second, is Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks - these are only plug and play shocks with 100% OEM EDC integration. These are factory height shocks with much better damping, but you can use these with any springs that you can use with stock shocks - from stock to lowered. A shock can be compressed until it hits the bump stop - then it is no longer damping for you. Given that the generic B6D shocks are stock height shocks, it would be wise to use them with stock or conservatively dropped springs (like MP HAS). However, the B6D standalone shocks are basically nonexistent in the US, so if you want an actual physical Bilstein kit on your car, you're going to want the full B16 kit (or the passive version, called PSS10, if you don't require EDC integration). For the price, it's hard to beat.

Spring rates are what determine spring stiffness, not height necessarily. However, if you have a short and soft spring with stock height shocks, you're going to be hitting the bump stops a lot more from full compression, so your suspension is going to feel like crap. In my experience, Macht Schnell springs gave this sensation (in the rear). I didn't know until I changed to B16D and then to MP HAS with a much more conservative drop.

There are still only (technically) 4 options available in the US for cars with EDC if you want to keep EDC that I know of.

- B16 Damptronic

- B6 Damptronic shocks - can't get them in US

- KW DDC - same philosophy as B16D, full coil over system, but is not 100% plug and play like B16D. This kit is also considerably more expensive, but those who have it like it.

- Tractive electronic dampers - again, can't really figure out how to get them in the US. Some members have mentioned contacting DSC Sport to attain a set, but I have yet to encounter a post from someone in the US who actually acquired these from the US. Otherwise, I think this would have been the go to solution a long time ago for everyone with EDC.
Thank you very much for that summary and input, very helpful!
Appreciate 0