View Single Post
      02-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #71
mrjbb77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC, GT3RS, Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonovox View Post
Hey, so I traded my M4 for a 2016 RS7 with the dynamic suspension. Had the M4 for 18 months. There are some moments when I regret my choice for sure, but many more when I feel good about it.

For me it comes down to versatility, which means I actually get to drive the car I want to be driving much more frequently. I think the answer to your quandary may come down to how much the versatility means to you personally.

My wife really didn't like the M4 because it was hard to drive it pianissimo, as the Italians say. Even in comfort the suspension was pretty stiff, so it often wasn't the car of choice when, for example, going out to dinner of down to the city (Boston roads are pretty beat up).

When I got the RS7 I just didn't even tell her the car has 560 hp and does 0 to 60 in 3.5". I just put it in comfort mode and she's none the wiser.

One of the BIG factors in favor of the RS7 is that there is a much bigger difference between comfort and dynamic modes. There are many situations with the M4 when we would opt to take my wife's car -- like when going to dinner with another couple ...or when we pick up the in-laws who are elderly...or when we head down to the Cape...or up skiing in the mountains...or to Home Depot...

In my part of the country the roads are more often than not either wet or icy or sandy -- so I simply get to use the power more often and more safely. Yes, the RS7 has more body roll, but the % of time that is a factor is v small compared to the benefits--and let's be real, while the handling doesn't feel as good subjectively, the limits on the RS7 are incredibly high -- probably much higher in a wider range of driving conditions--that often puts a big smile on my face.

The space in the RS7 allows me to simply open the trunk and slide my mountain bike right in, tires and all ... Or skis.. Or Home Depot..pretty amazing. The RS7 is an unbelievable car for road trips.

Another factor for me is that the RS7 makes more sense for business. And, by the way, I get many more "thumbs up" (as opposed to a middle finger) and people generally ogling the RS7.
Thank you and everyone else for their opinions. I understand where you're coming from with the RS7...it's obviously in a different class...but that's where it stops. A different class doesn't ALWAYS mean better, it just means others prefer one class over the other.

The RS does several things better than the M4, but so does the M4. It honestly boils down to preference. As far as the RS being more inclined for business purposes, I agree 100%, especially when you have to meet clients and business acquaintances...however, I happen to be fortunate enough to where my clients pay up and they could care less what I drive.

For you the RS7 seems to be working. I commend that. But that wasn't the case for me. To be honest, there are times that I miss the RS7...but if I end up missing it that bad, I can always walk in the dealer and purchase another one...same thing I did with the M4.

If the RS was a once in a lifetime thing and it wasn't attainable for me a second time around, then yes I'd be a bit worried, but it's quite the opposite.

Plus, you can't drop the top on the RS lol

Enjoy the RS in good health my friend!