View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #245
Uberm3
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
actually, what you said that i disagree with is that this gen is closer to the 335 than the prior gen in performance. thats just simply not true, and that is not an opinion, it is a fact. your preference for one gen of m3 over the other is an opinion, and to that, each their own.

the e90 and f30 335 have basically identical performance numbers. the f80 m3 is over .5 seconds faster than the e9x to 60, and the difference is even greater in in-gear acceleration numbers due to the fatter powerband. the car is also lighter and has more advanced handling tech, including a rear subframe that is directly attached to the car.

so, if the 335 performance didnt change, but the new m3 is a lot quicker.....how is the gap smaller now than it used to be? that is what does not compute for me.

also, the "exhaust flap" is a valved exhaust system, seen in many performance cars such as a z06 corvette. its also a common mod for people to do to the m3. search "innotech" exhaust to see examples of this.

i love my e92, but the f80 will be faster and the gap between it and the 335 and the prior gen m3 will be large. that is not up for debate.

as far as the engine goes, your definition of warmed over and mine are not the same. other than being a 3L turbo, nothing else is similar between the n55 and s55.

as far as the seats, to each their own. integrated one piece headrest sport seats are seen in actual sports cars, see the 911 for example. i for one am glad we finally have them available. the glowing M in the seats? yea its lame but who cares? thats far down the list of things to complain about IMO

i track and DD my car, so having more efficiency, more power under the curve, more tech, lighter weight, much more performance and better brakes is nothing but a good thing.
Ok I'll keep it short (as I can):
1 - Depending on who you believe, the F30 335 did get quicker than the E90 335i (4.7 vs. 4.9-5.2). F8X M3 is estimated be quicker by around .5 sec over the E9X M3. Real world will probably prove better - no one really knows yet. You're probably right, but to me the gap isn't measured in 10ths of seconds - its about more than that for me (my previous posts).
2 - I'm aware of integrated headrest in sports cars again I'm referring to the overall look of them. Simpler is better. The lights are tacky (so is the perforation IMO). I'm paying 70-80k. I care.
3 - exhaust flap - this is regulation turned to marketing. It might improve drivability, meet noise regs, emissions/etc., perhaps help the turbo spool quicker. Its not there for max top end performance (nor is it closed at the top - don't see it on any race car after all. I don't look to the aftermarket for direction there - plenty of "snake oil" to be had in general.
4. The motor - agreed nothing else is similar, except the basic design, dimensions, etc. Our definitions of warmed over are different.

Please re-read what I've said (in my original post and my response). I did not say PERFORMANCE gap. You said that. Again, I'll reiterate to me its not entirely about numbers. If that was the we'd all likely be on a different forum. You don't have to convince me and I respect the fact that you don't agree. We can take this up over PMs if you really want to but I think I've clarified myself enough publicly.

Last edited by Uberm3; 12-26-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0