12-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #240
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

So, even though high rpm NA engines are a part of Ferrari and Porsche DNA, so is turbocharging. Both in "mundane" street versions and in their supercar range!

And as a European, I'm sorry but the Corvette engine with it's cam in block, pushrod, design doesn't really have a mystique to me When Ford came with it's DOHC V8's, that was a step in the right direction. And engines like in the Boss 302 Laguna Seca, or other DOHC iterations available from Ford Racing Performance Parts, those have much more of a modern NA V8 engine "mystique" to it (to me). The Koenigsegg had a Ford DOHC engine in the beginning, now they call it their own design. But just look at the design of the Koenigsegg engine and you can clearly see it's relation with the Ford Romeo V8

The Corvette Z06 with it's 7l engine making 505hp is still only at 72 hp/l. A 3l NA engine would only make 216hp at that level of tune (the BMW N53 3l made 272hp in the generic 3- and 5-series and could be had in software detuned versions at 258hp and 204hp). The S65 would have had a power output of 288hp at the Z06 engine's state of tune... Hardly any mystique or pushing of boundaries to get a 7l engine to make 72 hp/l.

The Boss 302 engine is slightly better with 444hp from 5l, equalling 89 hp/l (the Z06 would be at 622hp with the same output per litre).

And the C6 ZR1 was supercharged...

--
i think you are messing what makes the Z06 engine so great (LS7 engine). all those other European engines are maxed out from factory. those GM LS engines have a insane amount of power to be gain n/a. not to mention the engine is way easier to work on or fix. the engine is not high strung like a BMW S65. its a very reliable setup. the engine does not work hard for its power, where the S65 does. if that makes sense . that LS7 engine is a loved engine here in the US. people love modding the crap out of them.

i think LS7s are pretty cool engines, although you don't see me driving one. i find European engines like the S65 to have more "style" to them. which i like. but i still do respect and understand why the Zo6 has a huge engine.
Appreciate 0