12-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #242
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although I certainly appreciate (understatement) both the character of and engineering excellence required to bring about high redline, flat torque, high specific output engines, specific output arguments fall almost completely flat in the real world. What are the specific advantages for the customer outside of character?

Maybe the advantage is fuel efficiency? Oops the giant 7l engine trounces the S65 (perhaps through shifting trickery and/or cylinder deactivation - not something inherent to the pushrod design nor displacement). I suppose there is the argument about taxes when based on displacement but for us in NA that too is irrelevant. Other advantages of the pushrod engine are a lower center of gravity and less weight (not sure about the actual 7l Z06 vs. 4l S65, but at a given displacement there will certainly be a weight advantage). Pushrod engines also offer a lower cost (again at fixed displacement for sure, otherwise maybe not for sure).

The Z06 and M3 clearly represent a different philosophy and approach. Each has advantages and disadvantages but specific output remains largely something of academic interest (or certainly for racing when displacement limits exist).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i think you are messing what makes the Z06 engine so great (LS7 engine). all those other European engines are maxed out from factory. those GM LS engines have a insane amount of power to be gain n/a. not to mention the engine is way easier to work on or fix. the engine is not high strung like a BMW S65. its a very reliable setup. the engine does not work hard for its power, where the S65 does. if that makes sense . that LS7 engine is a loved engine here in the US. people love modding the crap out of them.

i think LS7s are pretty cool engines, although you don't see me driving one. i find European engines like the S65 to have more "style" to them. which i like. but i still do respect and understand why the Zo6 has a huge engine.
I appreciate both of your statements and "affection" for a big pushrod V8 engine. That's why I said "as a European I...". To me it's kinda like NASCAR vs F1. Both offer racing and sound etc. But I much prefer the high strung pitch and tech of a F1 engine over a "lazy" pushrod V8 (I know that some of the tech in NASCAR actually is pretty high end, like piston speeds close to F1 engines). It's not that I don't respect US V8 engines, but I prefer the Ford V8's over the Chevrolet V8, because it actually seems to have evolved more since 1955

Stuff like VVT is also something of a tradeoff with a single cam in block engine. GM decided to go the easiest route that gave 80% of the benefit at low cost (no "cam in cam" tech as far as I understand).

Even though the 6,2 GM V8 is using modern tech, like cylinder cut off and DI, to save fuel. It still will pretty much be considered pretty low tech and dinosaur with it's pushrod engine over here in Europe. It goes like stink and get's respect for that though Even German Magazines has declared the C7 a winner in a 911 vs C7 test...

It has accessible power, unlike the S65 (don't get me wrong here ). But just like the S55... So anyone that appreciates the useable powerband of the Corvette engine, should also appreciate the S55 for it's power

So, yes I appreciate the power of the Corvette engine. But my comment was with regards to a "mystique" surrounding that engine. Yes it has plenty of power, but it's not a engine that pushes the envelope in any way or creates a mystique (IMHO), like a Ferrari V8/V12 or the S65/S85 etc.

Even the S55, even though it will be a great engine (I hope), will have a hard time creating the same "mystique" that the high revving S65 and S85 has done.

Last edited by Boss330; 12-24-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0