06-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #61
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Just had a bit of sticker shock as my car is in for its 6th service and no longer under service warranty. Didn't think much when I dropped it off and they said spark plugs, but he called back to let me know it was billed at 5.3 hrs at $1xx/hr plus parts.

I'm not necessarily eager to spend the 4 to 5 hours doing it myself, but I feel like ~$1000 is steep for spark plugs. I honestly didn't know S55 service could be this expensive - might be time to look at extended service plan. I don't even remember my S54 service being this expensive, and that included the valve adjustments. Don't recall paying this much for S65 spark plugs either.

Anyone had a private shop change their plugs?
That price and time allocation seems absurd but probably par for the course for a dealership. In the future you could likely spend less than half of that if you just order the plugs online and bring to a local indy shop for the work.

Or if you had a good relationship with an SA at your dealership, ask if he knows a mechanic that works there and wants to make a few bucks on the side to do it for you.
Appreciate 0