12-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
Strongly recommend getting a separate set of wheels for winter setup. Here is why:
1) Switching the tires onto a single wheel multiple times per year will damage the bead, thus resulting in potential leaking. Also, risk of damaging or scratching the wheels.
2) 20" winter tires will be more expensive than equivalent tires for a smaller wheel. Get 19" or 18" wheels for winter.
3) The 20" tire has a lower profile and is more susceptible to damage in winter driving conditions - buckling of roads, pot holes, ice chunks etc..
4) Convenience - with a jack and torque wrench you can easily change out your own tires whenever you want. Don't have to deal with a tire shop during the busiest time of year.

Recommend the Blizzak LM-32 as a good winter performance tire and it is available in many sizes.
Agree with all this. I would also add that winter tire selections in 18-19" are way more abundant than 20".

Staggered vs square - honestly depends on how much snow you think you'll be driving on. I know the recommendation is for square so you can rotate tires, but some people prefer to keep the aesthetics intact especially if your winters are relatively mild. Also the recommendation is to go narrower, especially if you will be driving through a lot of snow.

Your best bet might be to pick up a used set of wheels on the forums or elsewhere. I got a set of 437M wheels from the classifieds here that I'm using as my winter setup, using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. Good luck.