View Single Post
      02-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #53
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I disagree with you guys in a general sense that the GT350 only offers the FPC and sound over an M3. I think it offers other things in the chassis, breaks and especially suspension department. Also the TC is much better programmed than MDM IMO.

As for DD of course the M3 wins and build quality, but as I said in my M3/4 (mostly M3) I had a ton of creaking/rattles etc in my M3. They also have their share of plastics, especially if you don't have the full leather option.

That being said, I have no issues driving DDing my GT350 even with my 7 year old daughter etc. I also find the ride in comfort (even sport) is much better than the M3/4. It does tramline on bad roads a lot.
I have to disagree on the traction part. I have drifted in to turns (with the biggest smile) on the GT350, to realize a few moments later, that I had the traction on, the entire time. It seems like the car is very late on trying to catch it, if it starts sliding. On the M4/M3 with traction on, you can take turns pretty quickly and the car wont slide at all. The traction on the BMW turns on instantly. Now the traction does kill power and all that, and I usually prefer to turn traction completely off, for the fun factor to increase (on roads that allow it, with no people around), but it seems like on the Shelby the traction does not kick on instantly as it does on the BMW. Some people might say this is a good thing, and I agree it makes it much more fun to drive the car (as long as you know what you are doing), but in that case, it defeats the purpose of having traction control. If I take quick turns while it is raining on Shelby, the tail almost always starts sliding. On the M4/M3 it is very difficult to make the tail slide when traction is on, even in rain.

I do keep the Shelby in Sports mode, most of the time, so maybe the traction starts working more like MDM in this mode, that might be a factor, that I just am not aware of. In that case they should have marked that in some way, as BMW shows a different indication when MDM mode is on, instead of traction being completely off. On the Shelby in track mode, it instantly shows that the traction is completely off, so that does make sense. Which makes me think that the traction control does not change from going from normal mode to sport mode.