View Single Post
      06-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #29
FTLC
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 8V RS3, B8.5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaSauce View Post
I've lived in Columbus for several years now, daily driving a BRZ in the winters. Just bought the M3 last week and it will be garaged from December through February.

It is frequently too cold for summer tires here, but we only get more than a few inches of snow a couple times a year. Winter is mostly rain, slush, and temps between 10 and 40, but they salt the roads like crazy. Anything you drive in salt for very long will rust and it's hard on the paint too. I couldn't do that to my M3, but I plan on keeping it 10+ years, not two or three.

Even a BRZ is undriveable on summer tires in the winter. You will need a set of snows. A second set of wheels is much easier to manage than taking tires on and off. It is sometimes cheaper to buy a second set of wheels anyway, downsizing the wheels can drastically reduce the cost of the tires while also improving traction in snow.

I highly recommend performance winter tires over traditional snow tires like Blizzaks. We don't get enough snow to justify full snow tires, you'll just wear them out driving on dry cold pavement. Performance winter tires are still better than all seasons in cold temperatures, rain, or light snow, and last longer than snow tires with better grip when it's dry.
Thanks for the local info! I garage my M3 because I plan on keeping it forever, but looking for a new car I'm looking to drive something nearly year-round for about 4-5years. I will get it coated and take the necessary measures of wheels and tires. I'm more concerned about getting stuck and sliding around which (trust me I know) is fun when you want to but not so fun when you don't.