06-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #624
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Dude, it may be time for you to move past M.
We agree on this.

Quote:
You seem way too agitated and stressed over this car, and you haven't even driven it. It's not worth it. There are too many choices. Cars should bring joy, not stress.
Again, we agree.

Quote:
I had an E92 M3, and I'll bet that everything on the new ones will be as good, if not way better.
Higher redline = more exciting = better = E9x.

Instant throttle response vs. turbo lag = more exciting = better = E9x.

No need for stupid stereo fake engine noise because the ACTUAL mechanical sounds are so magnificent = better = E9x.

Bespoke engine = more exclusive = better = E9x.

So, we don't even close to agree on that point.

Quote:
It will sound different,
Once again, we agree.

Quote:
but it's just different.
Again, you'll find yourself with the minority opinion, and NOT my opinion, on this one. The sound of a 5500rpm turbo six is in no way as aurally pleasing as the magnificent S65 (which itself is inferior to the sound of the S85).

Quote:
Who defined the sound of a low torque, NA engine as the best? No one.
Best? Unknown. Better than the turbo 6? EVERY reviewer, and me.

Quote:
It's just what we are used to. All that extra power with a better chassis will be addictive.
Yup, that'll make it SOUND way better.

Quote:
Did you stress out when you lost your keyboard when iPhones took over. I'm guessing you did.
Not sure why you'd take it personal, but whatever. I actually love BETTER technology. But what I DON'T want is a sports car that loses all uniqueness and becomes simply a commodity car with a commodity engine, for a few MPG of fuel economy. I've had my E90 M3 for almost 3 years and have almost 17k miles on it. So I bought a $68k car, and had it averaged 4mpg better than it did, I'd have saved ~$700 TOTAL over those three years. ONE PERCENT of the car's price. Like I give a shit about THAT.

Quote:
Tech evolves and generally found to be better once the fear of change subsides.
This isn't "tech evolving". It's using a regular engine in an M car, instead of an M bespoke engine. It's a 335i with a tune. How many 335i's have an S65 in them? MAYBE half a dozen on Earth? How many 335i's have a tune? Maybe 20,000 of them in the US alone? Most of those will be as powerful as the new M car, with a $1k software patch. And their engine will be EXACTLY as "special" as that in the new M3.

Quote:
BMW has made the biggest change in the M3 family ever - it will be looked back upon on the future with great fondness. They new the change to turbos, electric steering, etcetera would be highly scrutinized. As such, they had to make a bigger performance change than with any prior generation.
WHAT? This new engine SUCKS! Almost identical HP (S65 vs S54 was an 80hp, or 25%, change, for comparison), low RPM, laggy, sounds pedestrian, not a bespoke M engine ... NO WAY is it "bigger performance change than any prior generation". It's effectively NO performance change.

Quote:
Plus, they had to make room for the M2.
How does this have any effect on the conversation? Shouldn't they have made the M3 FASTER to do this?

Quote:
From the reviews, which are superb, the consensus is about as high as you could expect.
Superb? You mean like the short shift at 5500, the crappy sound, the lag, the FAKE sound through the speakers, the 335i engine with a sticker and a tune? Are those the superb reviews we're discussing?

Quote:
Don't over amplify each little niggle. They all have to say something negative. If amplified all of the positives with the same gain as you apply to the negatives, you might just stroke out with joy.
Bottom line, if this car succeeds, and there's no way it's as popular as the prior version, then it does so IN SPITE of the engine, not BECAUSE of it.
Appreciate 0