05-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #95
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I have learned one thing. If Sutcliffe would've preferred the M, he would've been praised as a genius. But because he didn't, he's an AMG fanboy (which is ludicrous since he heaped praise upon the F80 M3 not more than a few days ago).
No, people who follow Autocar know that Sutcliffe is one of those guys whose opinions often come far out of left field. He may just have unpopular opinions, maybe he's biased, or maybe he likes to be controversial to get more views, I really don't know. I think he's like Jonny Lieberman (Motor Trend), they prefer cars that are very easy to drive. Sutcliffe has repeatedly said that he'd take a paddle-shifted gearbox over any manual any day and he tends to prefer cars that do it all for the driver so I have no problem believing that he preferred the C63 over the M4. The C63 is a great car but I really don't see how he can be so in love with its steering feel and I've driven lots of them. Also, the throttle response may seem incredibly sharp compared to a turbo motor but the M156 isn't THAT responsive of a motor, partially because it's attached to a slightly sluggish torque converter. A transmission retune to get rid of paddle shift delay and speed up shift times really wakes the C63 up IMO.

This is a man who claimed the new Range Rover was sportier and more of a driver's SUV than the Cayenne Turbo in a comparison test...that's just absurd.
Appreciate 0