Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Global automakers have decided that EV is the future, not consumers. It's my opinion that this is largely due to lower production cost, higher MSRP and thus larger margins. Tesla has made great advances but it's still a niche vehicle. The ICE will be around for a long, long time even if there are large advances in battery tech. Especially in the US.
I see it differently. It is the governments that have decided that EVs are the future, not the automakers. I also believe that it is the other way around in terms of costs, where EVs are more costly to produce (at least for now) and they are only viable in the market through government incentives.
Drove a model 3 loner for 2 days while my car was getting ceramic window tint at a local shop here in Houston. I can appreciate the tech and the straight line speed but the build quality is appalling and I found the minimalist interior unattractive at best. Then there's the issue of "regenerative braking", I guess it takes time to get used to it. The constant accelerations and quick decelerations as a soon as you lift your foot of the throttle made me nauseous. I read somewhere that Porsche tamed down the regen braking on the Taycan to avoid this issue and make it feel more "sports car" like vs golf cart. I really wanted to like the Tesla model 3. I even thought this could be my next purchase, but in reality I didn't like it at all.

And yes, It is a fact that as of now, these cars are more expensive than ICE cars to produce. They exist because governments decided it was the future and came up with emission credits schemes/tax breaks. A model S gets over $40k in subsidies and credits while Tesla still struggles to break even.
OUGrad05526.50