02-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasevo9
If you put $25,000 down, god forbid you get into and accident and total the car there goes all your $25,000. BMW will thank you and you will get $0 out of it. Never never put that much down.

As people mentioned, you only put money down on financing the car.
I'm not so sure about that loss of all the down payment. The insurance company should pay the same claim amount whether the car is owned / financed or leased so if the claim is more than the lease buyout, wouldn't the lessee get the difference back? Sure, it will be less than the full down payment, but I don't think it just suddenly disappears as everyone seems to think. Also, you aren't going to be in a much better position if you purchase a car with a lot down (or outright with cash) and wreck it the next month unless your policy has new car replacement. You'll lose a portion of your down payment then as well.

That being said, I agree with not putting a lot of money down on a lease because people do that mainly to get to a monthly payment they want, which IMO is not a very good approach to leasing a car even though it is widely done. Ultimately, if concerned about losing money after an accident, it would be best to put as little down as possible (combined with GAP insurance) whether leasing or buying.