11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #90
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
A 335i performs more or less just as good as an E46 M3, but NO, it doesn't deserve to be called an ///M car.
This is a drastically different comparison, whereas my suggestion is apples to apples.

Here are the main differences. The M3 had a natural, high revving, Inline 6.

The 335i had a low revving turbo inline-6 and made up for the M differences with pretty much more power.

The M235 and the 1M are too identical to ignore. They have very similar (if not identical) power plants, weight, etc. One won't be better than the other based on sheer power as was the difference in the M3 and 335. There is no redline difference, no power difference, no difference in HOW the power is put down, and no weight difference. The differences are mostly aesthetic.

I went from a 335i to an E46 M3. Not many people made that choice but I did because the E46 M3 was THAT much better than the 335i. I'm saying this to let you know how well I acknowledge the difference in the two.

The difference in the 1M and M235 are not this drastic. On paper at least. Making it a more reasonable question as to does the M235 deserve to have the M performance name if it matches the 1M which people call a "real" M car. Not even M2, but just M235.

This is why it's so hard to answer the initial question as opposed to referencing a time when BMW made it's most radical and big change in decades, going from NA engines to Turbo. That's why we arnt seeing "435i is better than E9x M3" topics like we did when the 335i came out and the E46 M3 was still the newest M3. The switch to Turbo from NA happened.

Last edited by 3XTR3M3; 11-04-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0