View Single Post
      09-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #114
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The internal combustion engine is a complex beast. Peak torque value and where it occurs in the rev range is controlled by so many different parameters.
Absolutely.

You know what, though? I have been impressed by how accurately people have been able to simulate complex systems with what seem to be, by comparison, relatively simple mathematical models. We've seen great examples of that just in this discussion forum alone.

I think we can all agree that the greater displacement (including effective displacement as with forced induction) an engine has, the greater its maximum torque potential will be. So an engine with infinite displacement, regardless of its maximum (non-zero) operating RPM, will make infinite torque. We can also probably all agree that the higher RPM an engine can spin, the more power it can make. So an engine spinning at infinite RPM will make infinite power irrespective of its (non-zero) displacement. Those, to me, are some pretty simple properties of very complex systems.

But unfortunately I've yet to see anyone fit bore dimensions at a fixed displacement into the picture. Maybe it's simply because they aren't ultimately what determines the engines output? That's a genuinely open question on my part, not a thinly veiled assertion.
Appreciate 0