View Single Post
      04-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #140
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Granted I haven't driven the i8 but to me it's a stupid car.
Why dilute a sports car with hybrid lameness?

I am all for electric or gas sports cars. I love the tesla. But hybrid is always going to be less than the sum of the parts, it's crappy at being an electric or combustion. It makes compromises. There is value in being focused and simple.

Imagine the car with looks of the i8 and the sound and feel of a V10. It's been done before by exotic manufacturers because it's a good idea. Or make it all electric. Tesla proved it can be done and the result is amazing with the model S.

Hybrids are not the future, car makers are just scared to jump all in to electrics. I would much rather an R8 (even an 8 cylinder) than the i8. It looks mental, that's why it's drawing the crowds, not because of its driving dynamics or nice mpg. i3 is a brilliant idea but it's the ugliest thing since the Aztec and it won't sell for that reason. Then BMW will complain how they tried electrics and the market just doesn't exist. i8 is a waste of a good design. It will be remembered as an awkward but stylish experiment from BMW before they developed a real business strategy other then 'aggressive model and line additions (that no one asked for) paired with a confused vision of a future to drive volume'.

Just my opinion. We can agree to disagree, but I am here to stay.
Of course you are here to stay, but this i8 question has been asked so many times before that you can search for the answer. The conception of the i8 is based on the question what if? The first words on a whiteboard where what if?
Legislation is increasing and city use is becoming restricted, if high performance cars were affected by legislation. How would the sports car progress? And would the sports car become extinct?

The i8 answers these questions despite its efficiency and its plug-in hybrid capability. The i8 is very much still a high performance sports car yet it does everything differently. From its futuristic appearance to its definitive cutting edge material genes to its three cylinder engine and its significant consumption.

The i8 showcases how challenges a sports car will face in the future can be met and adapted to deliver everything expected of a sports car whilst laying the groundwork for a logical progression of the BMW brand.

If the i8 used a V8 and conventional drivetrain then you do not showcase individuality you showcase normality. You would be no more different than anybody else.

The i8 is all about individuality. It embodies a changing philosophy but adds a radical yet innovative and progressive twist to the definition of a sports car.
Attached Images